Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Celebrate a real holiday

On the drive in today I heard the name "Martin Luther King Jr." on about 4 different radio stations. There's no shortage of awareness of this holiday. Yet as one station played cuts from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech I found myself sitting in the car after it was parked for a good 5 minutes listening to it again.

MLK Day is one of my favorite holidays because it represents people, not a religion or some contestable historic event. As corny as it is do yourself a favor and listen to his speech with your headphones on as you check your e-mail and sip your coffee. Oh, and happy birthday, papa.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for an appropriate tribute to Dr. King. I am following your lead (again).

    http://pedanticpoliticalponderings.blogspot.com/2012/01/praise-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-day.html

    ReplyDelete